Need a solution to a large multi select customer list

Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2013

We have a large customer list and I need to be able to do multi selection there. So far we made due with the JIRA multi select list but the list is now over 200 customers and doing multi selection is a really very hard and tedious. Does anyone know of a better solution (with plugin or otherwise)? Basically when a bug is entered, the reported chooses the impacted customer from this list. He has to look in the list of over 200 to see who is impacted and select those.

5 answers

0 votes
Vishal Gautam May 14, 2018

This is a valid question. What's the best practice suggested by Atlassian to manage large list of customers in JIRA so we can associate them with Bugs or production incidents. We have been using text boxes to capture, but you can imagine that it has the downside of not being able to do good reporting. Workarounds like using user field is not acceptable. With such an impressive list of customers, Atlassian must be having guidelines on this topic ... waiting to hear that.

0 votes
Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2018

I need to re-ask this question, since this plugin (mention in the above post) is no longer update to work with JIRA 7.x. 

How do I solve this issue in JIRA 7.x?

0 votes
Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2013

Or ... following Mladen answers, you can represent your customer by using Users. They don't need to belong to jira-users or have any permissions granted.

Define a set of User Picker customfields, or even better, use this plugin to restrict the users to a role while allowing multi selection

HTH

Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 7, 2013

@Alex, You mean add my customers as users, create a custom field of user type and sort of assign them to the ticket? Can I add multi users to a ticket? (I guess you are sying that I have to sue this plugin)

Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 8, 2013

Yes, create your customers as users, and assign them a new project role "Customers".

The plugin I linked to adds the ability to create a new Custom field for selecting users and allowing multi-selection, and restricting the "selectable" users to a project role (Customers).

HTH

0 votes
Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2013

Hi,

If you are in 5.x, consider if labels can do the job. You can use multiple labels, and they autocomplete when start typing ...

HTH

0 votes
MB
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2013

Would it be viable that you sort your customers into groups and use a group picker, instead of a customer picker? The number of your customers will (hopefully) grow even more and sooner or later you'll have to make it easier for your reporter to quickly select a large group of customers.

Suggest an answer