Need SQL for a JQL query

Sarah Shonnard June 27, 2013

I have the following Issue Filter in JQL which gives me my backlog by rank order:

project = XXX and (type = Story or type = bug) and status != Closed order by rank asc

I'd like to have an equivilant SQL query so I can pull the same data directly in to an Excel spreadsheet. I know "Rank" is a linked list which requires some sort of a recursive SQL query.

Can anybody provide and example so I don't have to wrack my brain trying to figure this out myself.

4 answers

1 vote
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2013

This will give you a list of all the ids of the requested jiraissues and their current ranking:

select i.id,r.id 
from 
jiraissue i,
AO_60DB71_ISSUERANKING r,
project p 
where 
i.id=r.issue_id 
and i.PROJECT=p.id 
and p.PKEY = 'JC' 
and i.ISSUESTATUS not in (select id from ISSUESTATUS where pname in ('Closed')) 
and i.ISSUETYPE not in (select id from ISSUETYPE where PNAME in ('Story','Bug'))
order by r.id;

Just change the 'JC' to your own project key.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2013

should be

... and i.ISSUETYPE in (select ...

(remove the not)

since you want Story and Bug

While this SQL works, it's not what I need. I'm not sure what it's giving me, but the list I get back doesn't match the backlog in Greenhopper. I thought since RANK is a linked list you couldn't just order by RANK.id?

0 votes
Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2015

SQL for JIRA does the job. Simply perform a query similar to this:

select * 
from issues 
where JQL='project = XXX and (type = Story or type = bug) and status != Closed order by rank asc'

Simple? 

Of course, you have to read the plug-in documentation in order to learn hot to export to a CSV format, but it is pretty easy too! wink

0 votes

That's what I'm currently doing. However, as I make updates in JIRA it's a pain to have to export every time. I'd rather have real time access to my changes by being able to run a query against the backend database directly.

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2013

Why don't you just export your JQL results in Excel?

Suggest an answer