Need Help on Indexing

Chaithra N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2013

We use JIRA 5.1.8 on Linux and have some application built in JIRA using project & workflows.

We upload the data from excel & store data in change history of jira tickets.

There is a code written which uses Lucene 3.2.0 & builds an index for the change history of this project.

Now the problem we are facing is our custom indexer gives error "too many files open", ulimit has been increased to 60000 in linux.

we are indexing around 1000 tickets with changehistory of 2 or 3 item per ticket.

Can anybody please help on this.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Chaithra N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2013

Yes, Problem was with the code & it was fixed

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2013
I can't tell you more than Google can. We don't know what your code is doing.
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2013

I'm assuming you have written a plugin that uses the Jira API to do the "upload and index" stuff (If not, then please correct that assumption because we need to know about that)

>Now the problem we are facing is our custom indexer gives error "too many files open", ulimit has been increased to 60000 in linux.

That really does look like an exceedingly high number of open files. My instincts are screaming that your code simply isn't closing files correctly, so as it working through your index, it's hitting the limit. You'll need to fix that in your code.

Chaithra N
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 28, 2013

Hi Nic,

Yes, we have a plugin which to upload the data to changehistory & also indexes the content.

We start the indexer when JIRA starts & there will be one object which will be used untill JIRA is shut down - (This is our requirement). Because of this I will not be closing the indexer.

Can you please guide me on how to handle this.

Thanks,

Chaithra

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2013
Your code needs revising. It is opening and holding open too many file handles. There's not a lot else we can tell you here!
Chaithra N
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 28, 2013

Can you please suggest some links which can help us

Suggest an answer