Need Help on Indexing

We use JIRA 5.1.8 on Linux and have some application built in JIRA using project & workflows.

We upload the data from excel & store data in change history of jira tickets.

There is a code written which uses Lucene 3.2.0 & builds an index for the change history of this project.

Now the problem we are facing is our custom indexer gives error "too many files open", ulimit has been increased to 60000 in linux.

we are indexing around 1000 tickets with changehistory of 2 or 3 item per ticket.

Can anybody please help on this.

3 answers

1 accepted

Yes, Problem was with the code & it was fixed

0 votes

I'm assuming you have written a plugin that uses the Jira API to do the "upload and index" stuff (If not, then please correct that assumption because we need to know about that)

>Now the problem we are facing is our custom indexer gives error "too many files open", ulimit has been increased to 60000 in linux.

That really does look like an exceedingly high number of open files. My instincts are screaming that your code simply isn't closing files correctly, so as it working through your index, it's hitting the limit. You'll need to fix that in your code.

Hi Nic,

Yes, we have a plugin which to upload the data to changehistory & also indexes the content.

We start the indexer when JIRA starts & there will be one object which will be used untill JIRA is shut down - (This is our requirement). Because of this I will not be closing the indexer.

Can you please guide me on how to handle this.

Thanks,

Chaithra

Your code needs revising. It is opening and holding open too many file handles. There's not a lot else we can tell you here!

Can you please suggest some links which can help us

0 votes
I can't tell you more than Google can. We don't know what your code is doing.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,103 views 13 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot