Need Help Setting up Projects with versions

Shawn Scott July 13, 2017

Hello,

My organization has switched from OnTime to Jira (v7.3.3 specifically).  We are having no luck trying to set the system up to properly track issues\defect\bugs within specific versions of an overall project.

Here is what we need to be able to do:

Project - Widget            

Widget Version 1.0                        

Defect 1 –  Bugs directly related to this version and fixed in this version        

Defect 2 –  Some bugs might be moved to a later version (Move to v2.0)       

Enhancement 1 – Some could be fixed in this version or moved to next

Widget Version 2.0                        

Defect 2 Fixed but needs to be tested in this version – (From v1.0)                  

Defect –  New defect(s) related to v2.0                       

Enhancement – From v1.0 or new to this version

Etc...  

Project – Whirly Gig   (another project with no relationship to the first project)   

Whirly Gig Version 1.0                        

Defect Etc. Etc.

...and so on.

We don't need to integrate it with any automated build process, we have dozens of unique "Projects" that need to be tracked in this manner.

Chances are we are just lost with regards to the nomenclature between Epic, and story, and so on.

Thanks for your help

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 14, 2017

Hi Shawn,

From what I'm seeing you would have a Project and it's versions.  From there you want to associate the bugs with the versions.  You can do that by creating the versions you need and then going to the Project and either dragging the issues to the versions from the backlog or add it to the ticket directly via the Affects Version/s field per the Adding an Issue to a Version knowledge base article.

Hopefully that helps you a bit.  I have also included the relevant documentation regarding Epics, etc and hopefully that will be more clear as to how this breaks down.

Epics, stories, versions, and sprints

Hopefully that makes things a bit more clear!

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer