Naming conventions on JIRA when supporting multiple departments

Jason Plumhoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2013

After the success of JIRA in our software group, I've been asked to set up projects for other (very different) departments. This will require me to create different statuses, workflows, permission schemes, etc.

Can anyone who has done something similar share what naming schemes they used to keep it all straight? I'm worried that as I add custom fields and statuses, I will start confusing which items get used with which departments. I could make something up, but I'd really like to hear examples that have been tested in the real world...

Thanks,

Jason

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2013
  • Generally the schemes, workflows contain the project name to identify what it belongs to.
  • Custom fields try to reuse as much a possible. Set the contexts to the valid projects to avoid confusion while searching.
  • Status is tricky part, again attempt maximum reuse across projects, but this is bound to cause some confusion.
Jason Plumhoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 19, 2013
Thanks Renjith, that was pretty much what I had thought. For status, I tried to reuse as many as possible, but I still have to create a few. I've gone with adding a 4-letter prefix representing the department that "owns" that status to the name. It seems like it will keep things clean enough for me to track it. Schemes are going to be a problem for me even if I get the naming right. I have to confess, I always struggle with how schemes work. Just one of those concepts I can't quite ever seem to internalize... Jason
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2013

Status with a 4 letter prefix of the department can actually prevent re-use. Once a department is used to that name, they will fight against changing it if someone else asks for the same status. Also there is a big role to play in educating people that slight changes in the status wordings can help a lot in keeping the instance clean and easy for maintenance.

0 votes
Hanae alahcen April 15, 2013

is it possible to have a custom field for a specifical issue ?

for example in a merketing project if an operator needs to know about the target i want him to create an issue to ask for the target we propose for him then i want specificly for this issu a field names ( target )

may i explain all this in frensh ?

because i really need an answear !

Suggest an answer