Name display in emails gone

Jig Bhakta March 27, 2013

Recently, emails we receive from JIRA about updates to tickets have stopped displaying the person's name. It would appear as: John Doe (JIRA) <jira@myCompanyName.com>. Now, it simply displays as: JIRA - this name is the alias . We are not sure how this happened.

Does anyone know how this could have happened? Is this definitely an email (we use Outlook, specifically Outlook 365 aka cloud) issue as opposed to a JIRA issue?

Cheers!

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jig Bhakta April 1, 2013

This issue is an Exchange issue. The header info being sent out is the same; it is exchange that is interpreting the header info and changing the display.

Mod edit: I think that this is what you are talking about: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/MS+Exchange+with+Outlook+Strips+the+FullName+Variable+in+Notifications

0 votes
BlueKai Support May 8, 2013

I'm getting reports of the same issue and see it first hand. However, the user name not displaying only occurs in Mac Outlook.

My Windows Outlook 2011 users are getting user names in their JIRA emails.

This is annoying as they like to sort by users and can easily see who is responding. Can anyone confirm via both Outlook versions?

John Naito July 11, 2013

i experienced the same; Exchange2003/Outlook2010/jira5.2.11. i found this link which resolved the issue, but i don't know what caused this in the first place.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/4c32ec59-1d5b-4361-a344-b69f8b203c36/exchange-modifying-the-display-name

0 votes
Kai Gottschalk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2013

Hi Jig,

in JIRA you can define globally and on project level who should be the sender of a sent notification. I guess someone with JIRA administration permission has changed one of those settings in your instance.

Cheers
Kai

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2013
Jig Bhakta March 28, 2013

Thanks to both of you. Unfortunately, I do not believe either of those to be the issue. We believe it now to be a problem on the email Exchange server.

Suggest an answer