NPE after backup restoring

Gleb Kartashov September 17, 2019

I've installed a clean new Jira instance and tried to restore from my backup files (activeobjects.xml entities.xml). Restoring was succesful but after I configured emails and created admin login I got this errorimage.png

And the error list goes way down this page. What is causing this? I'm running Jira Service Desk 4.10-x64 and MS SQL Server 16 and both are freshly installed on a clean new VM

1 answer

0 votes
Rakesh Kumar September 17, 2019

Hello Gleb,

The files mentioned by you are JIRA native files and you should not replace these files manually in any JIRA instance. The restoration from back up is a different process. I believe you have the standard xml backup which was created from JIRA UI "Backup and Restore" page. If this is the case then just follow the below tutorial for back up restore in newly built JIRA instance.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/restoring-data-from-an-xml-backup-938847707.html

If you have back up of the server directories (JIRA Installation and JIRA Home) then you have complete instance itself with you. You just need to extract the back up zip or tar file at any server location of your choice and can start the instance using relevant start-jira script file. (Make sure you are pointing to correct database before JIRA start or make the changes in dbconfig.xml file if necessary).

Regards,

Rakesh

Gleb Kartashov September 17, 2019

Hi Rakesh. How does the standard xml backup file look like? I have only these files I mentioned above and I was using them previously to restore my Jira and they worked fine. Also I have the support zip formed from working system. Is it possible to use it to restore into retail instance?

Suggest an answer