My "projects" are new clients. Do I use the same project for future support?

Michael Glykis July 8, 2012

I'm trying to figure out how to setup my Jira/Greenhopper system at my office.

I would like to create a new Project for each new client we sign. Once that client is completed, they go into a mantenance/support mode. There are different ways to accomplish this and I wanted other user's advice.

1 - I can create a project for each client that is just for the new build, then create a project just for their support. The problem with this is that We currently have 120 clients and will be doubling that in 1-years time. That means I would have 240 active support projects plus whatever new clients I have.

2 - I can create a project for each client that is just for the new build, then create a poject called Maint/Support where all clients after their launch fall into this support project. The problem I see with this is that say a client wants a redesign, then a client's redesign will be listed as Maint/Support making it difficult to track.

3 - I can create a project for each client and use it for both the new build and on going maintenance/support. The issue here is that projects will never end and may be difficult to identify what is a new project and what is a maintenance project.

How are you treating this situation in your organization?

What works the best?

Thanks in advance for any info.

-Mike

2 answers

1 vote
Richard Banks July 9, 2012

There are many possibilities you could choose from but ultimatly you need to find out what works for your company. That said there are a number of features that can make things simpler.

Firstly you could look at custom fields / lables you could use these to store the client name to an issue. You would also be able to search and report on a spcific client with out a speperate project.

Another feature is componets you can use then to to group issues of spcific types such as themes, modules, plugins etc. just about anything really.

And finaly you could look at versions for tracking new development.

Those are just the most common uses for these features with a bit of creativity you can do all sorts of things.

0 votes
Jacques
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2012

I understand that development for each client is different than any other client. They don't use the same application or set-up.

I think your idea to create 1 project for each client valid as any other type of organization. I personally would use different issue types within each client to distinguish what is "new build" from what is "support".

I agree with Richard that using components, versions and custom fields can help you further detail each pending issue.

Suggest an answer