My proj admin has permissions, but can't add users to an issues watch list

Steven Alexander July 6, 2017

My project administrator can't add a user to the watch list for an issue.

I used the permissions analyzer to analyze my project administrators permissions and it says they have permission to modify the watch list. I added the user to the watch list and the project admin successfully deleted the user from the watch list, so he clearly has permission to modify the list.

When I add the user to the watch list, I see a list of users pop up as I start to type in the users name, and I see the user in the list. When my project admin starts to to type in the name, no names come up and when he enters the full name JIRA reports the error that "User does not exist". He gets the same response for any name that he types in, including mine. Yet I can do it the same way and the user is recognized.

We are using JIRA 6.1.3, and I have full adminstrator privileges. The project admin has privileges that are accorded to the groups that he belongs to.

2 answers

0 votes
Steven Alexander July 10, 2017

Thanks  for your response Christoph.

It's a good thought, but we are using version 6.3.1, which doesn't have a Global Permissions section.  I keep thinking that it must be a permission in  the Project section somewhere. However, my project administrator is in a group that is assigned Project Adminstrator role for the project. The project administrator role is assigned in all permissions listed for the project.

Christoph Schötz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2017

You're welcome Steven. The global permissions exist also in your JIRA version - you should find them in the system administration. I am sure it is the solution for your problem, please give it a try: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira063/managing-global-permissions-683542721.html

Cheers 

Christoph 

Steven Alexander July 10, 2017

Sorry, I have version 6.1.3. But you are correct that there is something like it in this version as well. I found it and fixed a slight discrepancy in the group names. Now it works!

Thanks again Cristoph.

Christoph Schötz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2017

You're welcome Steven - glad it works! 

0 votes
Christoph Schötz
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2017

Hi Steven,

does he have the browse users permission in the global permissions too? https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/managing-global-permissions-802592439.html

If not give it to him and the problem should be fixed.

Cheers

Christoph

Suggest an answer