My boards 'To Do' column status has changed to 'Start', which has happened to other boards too

Brian Crane October 9, 2017

My board was created with 'To Do' column and status of 'To Do'.  All of at once, the status for my To Do column has changed to status of 'Start'.  This change has affected the boards on 300 other projects as well.  I noticed in the Administration menu under Issue Attributes/Statuses, that the 'Start' status is set with a category of To Do.  Is the fix simply to change the category of the Start status to 'In progress'?  Appreciate feedback on this question, thanks  

1 answer

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2017

It sounds like someone with admin rights have changed the status 'To Do' to 'Start'. Editing a status will affect all workflows that are using that status, so you should be very careful editing an existing status.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2017

You should be able to rename it back to what it should be perfectly safely, as well as change its category.

If you have the admin audit log enabled, it should have logged who changed the status name, so you can find and educate them that Status is a global list.

Thanks Mikael for your comments.  I have limited sys admin rights, but can see that there is a To Do status linked to To Do category which is associated with 112 workflows.  Then there is the Start status linked to To Do category which is associated with 299 workflows, the problem I believe is with these 299 workflows.  Would we just navigate to Admin page, then Statuses, and edit the Start status linking it to In Progress?  If not how would we go about updating status of Start to status of To Do?  Thanks !

Hi Nic:  Just saw your comment after replying to Mikael.  So I just need to know how to rename the statuses?     Thanks for suggestion about admin audit log, we certainly need to find out who made this change.  Thank you

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 9, 2017

I would err on the side of caution this time.

Wait until it is quiet, and then go to Admin -> Issues -> Status, and find the status that look wrong.  Rename them in there, but pick a very clear name, keeping some identifier on it so you know you can find it later (e.g. put a ! on the end). 

Go back and check that this has changed the display name correctly with the ! on the end.  If it's all correct, go back and remove the ! from the name, and change the category back if necessary (As you know it's all safe now)

Admin stuff in Jira has moved around a lot and Idon't keep up any more.  Since the admin search arrived, I use that all the time.  Go to any admin screen and look towards the top, or press the . key or g twice.  Then type in "audit" and you should find the admin audit facility in there.

Brian Crane October 10, 2017

Thanks Nic for your suggestions, especially erring on the side of caution, someone obviously did not do that in this case.  So I went through the list of all status' in our instance, and found that someone must have just created a new 'To Do' status, with only 10 work flows associated so far.  So will have to address this complication as well.   Thanks again!

Suggest an answer