My account changed ticket to be assigned to me - I never opened it!

Dani Koretsky December 30, 2019

Hi,

Something very strange happened, history of a ticket clearly shows a specific time when I changed assignee to myself, I never opened the ticket..

Do I have ways to investigate this? Can I know how it was done? from which machine etc.?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 31, 2019

Another possibility ... though you say you didn't view the issue, perhaps you did (possibly accidentally) and accidentally pressed the keyboard shortcut ("i", I think) for "assign to me". I've done that a couple of times.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 31, 2019

That for sure can happen. Drives me nuts at times. 

Dani Koretsky December 31, 2019

Wow, I didn't even know that exists!
That might be possible, if I randomly opened an issue while in my flow...

Thanks!!

Couldn't find any automation or reason for this happening.

I guess this is the most useful and close to the root cause as I can get..

Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2020

@Dani Koretsky - you can see all available keyboard shortcuts by pressing "?"

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 31, 2019

It could also be an automation rule that is set to run as your user.

Good point. Do I have a way to check those? to search and find such actions in automation such as "assign to user" ?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 31, 2019

That depends on whether you have an automation addon and if so which one. For example for Automation for Jira - project settings > Project Automation and inspect your rules

0 votes
Johan Soetens _Dumblefy_
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 31, 2019

Hi Dani,

Perhaps there was auto-assign on a component. 

A component default assignee will override the project's overall default assignee.

Organizing work with components

Another common reason is a workflow post function assigned the issue to you during a transition:

"Assign the issue to the current user. Please note that the issue will only be assigned to the current user if the current user has the 'Assignable User' permission."

Configuring Auto-Assign

Great idea, I checked.

I'd expect it would be with some changes made before or near that ticket history entry.

The previous change is 24+ hours before, and next change is 14 hours later..

Not transition or changes were made to the ticket around the time of this operation..

Suggest an answer