Multiple teams multiple efforts single project

Eugene Lim June 20, 2012

Hello

I have a requirement to distinguish between development time and testing time in both estimates and actual time spent on an issue.

I am proposing a solution like:

- use the standard Estimate time as the Total time (both dev and testing time)

- use a custom number field to capture the testing estimate only

- both devs and testers log their time accordingly using Time Tracking functionality

- use a data extract and product custom reports in Excel to calculate the Dev Estimate vs Dev Actual, Test Estimate vs Test Actual, Total Estimate vs Total Actual.

I am wondering whether anybody feels that this is a sub optimal and perhaps has a suggestion as to a better solution?

TIA

2 answers

0 votes
Thiago Ribeiro
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2012

Hi Eugene,

I'd advise to use Tempo Plugin to work with this time reports per team/user.

Check out Tempo Features for a better understanding of the plugin.

I hope it helps you.

0 votes
saraponga June 28, 2012

You could have separate sub-tasks for development and testing. Then you can do the estimations separately, and leave the estimation in the main issue untouched. This way you can easily report on the different estimations and time spent. You can still see the sum of the sub-tasks estimations and time spent in the main issue.

This means you would have to create two subtasks for each issue though. You also have to create these two types of sub-tasks in your Jira installation. Information on how to do this can be found at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+%27Issue+Type%27+Field+Values.

Suggest an answer