Multiple status' for Create Issue transition

Danielle White February 8, 2016

We are interested in having the status of newly created tickets default to particular status', based on the permissions of the user who entered it, for the same project.

For example, if someone who isn't part of the dev team submits an issue, we would like it to be assigned a status of 'Pitched'. And for tickets entered by anyone on the dev team, to be set to 'Approved' by default.

Is it possible to set conditions, based on permissions when creating new tickets? I haven't been able to find any documentation on this particular instance, but have seen lots on setting up conditions to limit possible workflows, once a ticket is created.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2016

No.  An issue type always follows one workflow, and all transitions have a fixed end point.  So you can only have one "create" landing point.  If you could get your dev team to raise one type of issue, and non-dev another, then you could di it by having different workflows for the different issue types.

If you were on Server, there are a couple of options that would let you check some conditions and immediately transition to the desired status.

Danielle White March 23, 2016

I have this partially setup now. 

I have two workflows for the project, one for the development team which includes Epics, Improvements, New Features and Stories. The other for marketing the marketing team which includes Bug and Pitch. 

What I would like to do now, is limit the Marketing workflow to people in marketing and the Dev & Marketing workflow to people in the development group. Is that possible? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2016

Nope, sorry.  If you can create an issue in the project, you have the rights to create one of any type in there.

There are some tricks you can play on Cloud, but they're ugly - essentially they'd let the user start creating the issue, they enter all the data and then get told they can't create it and they lose all the data.

Jordan M. Pflum April 22, 2016

Hello Nic, you mention in your original response that "If you were on Server, there are a couple of options that would let you check some conditions and immediately transition to the desired status."  Could you elaborate on this a little more - what these options entail?  We may be looking for just such an outcome.  Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2016

Oh, yes.  As a good Adaptavist, I always use Script Runner for this nowadays  - it has an "auto transition" function that lets you choose some conditions under which you want to execute a second immediate transition and then does it.  I think there are other add-ons with similar functions.

(Before Script Runner made it flexible, I'd written listeners that caught the issue events and poked them with a second transition)

Like Luke Galardi likes this
Jordan M. Pflum April 22, 2016

That's great - I'm looking at Script Runner right now, is this under Script Listeners, the one called "Fast Track transition an issue"?  Looks like exactly what we need, thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2016

Yes, you've found exactly the right place!  Although you might want a quick look at the post-functions it does too!

Suggest an answer