Multiple executions of the same test in the same cycle

Julien Chatellier February 2, 2014

Good morning / afternoon,

Is it possible to plan multiple executions of the same test within the same cycle?

In other words: during a given cycle, I want the same test to be run by 5 different people, and keep track of each execution individually?

Thank you,

Julien

13 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2014

Hi Julien,

No you can not. The ad hoc is a special location. This location allows you to execute test cases on the fly. They have no true belonging meaning they do not belong to any test cycles. They just needed to be executed immediately so that you have a result. This is why you can have the same test in there more than once.

The rest of the cycles do not work like this. They represent a build or an environment to which you are testing the test case against. This is why you can only assign a test once to a single cycle.

Kind Regards,

Emily

Teri Michaels January 12, 2017

With so much interest in this feature (adding the same test to a user defined test cycle), is Zephyr going to support making this a configurable setting in the future?

Like Luke St George likes this
Tammi Knorr January 23, 2018

Would like this as well, I have a build that needs to be tested using the same test case against several different browsers.  I don't want have to create multiple Test Cycles for the same build or create duplicate test cases just to identify the browsers used.... <sigh>

Like Eman Mostafa likes this
Eman Mostafa January 28, 2019

Same here, I need to execute the same test case on multiple devices and browsers, and of course I cannot duplicate the test case for just that.

Any clue?

Ashwini Subhash Jadhav September 17, 2019

Yes same for me. IF the same cycle has to run multiple times is there any way ? 

Robert J Sanders July 31, 2020

Same here. I assumed this would be possible. It seems like a given that tests would be repeated.

hazar_daghash August 15, 2021

how can i run multiple execution (in different times)?

2 votes
Sebastian Matheke May 26, 2014

Upper question would be interesting for me too. It would be good, if this option could be configured for every cycle.

1 vote
Taini Streater July 30, 2015

I agree this is a big miss as a test management tool and not able to track multiple execution in the same test cycle.  at least, as a workaround, if I'm able to add another adhoc type and name it something else, I could make it work.  has anyone able to add another adhoc or rename the adhoc?

1 vote
Julien Chatellier February 2, 2014

I notcied you can add the same test multiple times to the ad hoc cycle, but my question is to do that for a user defined cycle.

0 votes
Ashwini Subhash Jadhav September 17, 2019

is it still same even after 5+ years ? any solution? 

Arshiya Ali March 25, 2020

Yes, no one @zephyr seems to help users with this basic need for testing same test case with multiple conditions!!

I do hope someone is listening and looking at this as this DEFINITELY puts me OFF of Zephyr!!!

Miroslav Renda June 15, 2020

I think you can achieve this by using Folders to sub-structure the Test Cycle. The drawback is that folders are not visualized in a bar chart Test Execution gatget - there are only Test Cycles. But you can add the same tests to the different Folders of given Test cycle - which is what you often want (f.e. to group tests done on particular browser). 

Arshiya Ali December 15, 2020

@Miroslav Renda Thank you for your update. I ll try that the next session I am planning :)

Daniel Moss February 10, 2021

@Arshiya Ali  How did this work for you please? Its something which is obviously frustrating others across the board too :D 

0 votes
Deleted user November 26, 2018

Why you need to run the test again and again?

I mean if some one wants to run the same test for different set of browsers. 

Either you can :

1. Run it one time and give the comments for how many browsers you are running it.

2. Or, Make different TCs for different browsers.

Though,first one is better option ,Anyways,Zephyr or Jira is based on Agile methodology which means that there is not much documentation on detailed basis .This means that you have to write test scenarios on high level covering all aspects.

Robert J Sanders July 31, 2020

But management and the government are pushing this methodology down every software developer and tester's throat whether it fits or not. So we are trying to be efficient using it for big enterprise type applications rather than quick turn consumer gaming and iPhone applications.

0 votes
Binay Agarwal April 28, 2016

Please suggest me how to do the below.

I am basically Leading Mobile Testing team and we need to execute the same set of Test Cases under same Sprint in Different devices like Andriod XX, YY, ZZ and IOS AA, BB, CC Models.

How can I create different Test Set for different model of Android and IOS for Same set of Test Cases under same Sprint?

0 votes
Tiago Machado
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2016

Hi Emily,

What would be your suggestion to run the same test cycle on several different environments ? We are currently cloning it and changing the environment field. Would be a way to "group" these clones in some view or report ?

Thanks a lot,

Tiago.

0 votes
Jira Support July 16, 2015

Absolutely! This is the biggest failing in Zephyr. I love JIRA and I love Zephyr but this issue frustrates me to tears.

0 votes
Ozge Ozkefeli May 22, 2015

Hi,

Is there any news about this requirement? We also need to rerun our tests under on test cycle more than ones. I want to track under on cycle how many times I execute the same test.

Thanks,

Özge

0 votes
Julien Chatellier June 4, 2014

Hi Daniel,

Just to let you know, in the end we are just using a naming convention, which has an "itteration" component to it, and clone test script.

You could also use Labels I guess to record the test number without the itteration, to then allow grouping for reporting.

0 votes
Daniel June 3, 2014

We are evaluating Zephyr now and would also like to see this ability of executing the same test in the same version and same test cycle multiple times. Our versions (or release cycles) may go on for multiple weeks and within that one release cycle ("version" in JIRA), we may want to execute the same test multiple times, maybe even daily. Assuming we want to maintain all the past results (and we do), it would be better if we didn't have to create a new test cycle every time we need to run the test again.

0 votes
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 2, 2014

Hi Julien,

It is not possible to ad the same test to the same cycle. For your use case what you might want to do is this:

You can use versions to help structure the test cycles. In each version, you can have multiple cycles. Each cycle will have the same test cases in them. When you create the test cycle, add a description and in the description place the name of the tester. Since you want it run by 5 different people, you can have each cycle then dedicated to each tester. Once the testers are finished you can get a comparison of how the execution turned out for each person.

Kind Regards,

Emily

Julien Chatellier February 3, 2014

Thank you Emily. And so there is no way to configure a cycle the same way the "ad hoc" cycle is configured, in order to allow this?

nikita September 19, 2019

Hi Emily,

In this case what gadget we can use to compare the results for each tester? please suggest. i want to avoid any manual analysis.

Suggest an answer