Multiple central boards per team

Connor Gamble October 22, 2019

I work for a marketing/ecom agency, we use Jira to manage our dev team. We have a separate board per client that pulls each task into a central Kanban board where they are then picked up. 

I'd like to be able to add our digital marketing team to Jira and include their tasks in the separate client boards, which then pull in to their own digital marketing kanban board, but not the dev team kanban board and vice versa.

Is this even possible and how would I go about achieving it?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 22, 2019

Absolutely! You simply need to construct the board's filter to include/exclude the issues you want. Without know exactly how you are setup today I can't give you exact directions but can offer food for thought.

Let's assume your clients are associated w/ separate projects and you have development tasks and Marcom tasks in each project (client). Then I would likely leverage the Components field to distinguish between dev and marcom. This could be as simple as two components: Devleopment, Marketing or more complex like:

• development components: Platform, UI, API, etc
  • marketing components: Press Release, Conferences, Campaigns, etc.

Then for my Kanban(s) they would be setup something like:

• Client1-DEV - project = Client1 AND Components in (Platform, UI, API)
  • Client1-MKT - project = Client1 AND Components in (Press Release, Conferences, Campaigns)

Hopefully this gets you started. Please let me know if I can assist further.

Connor Gamble December 16, 2019

Just getting back around to this but thank you for the answer Jack. Do you know if there's a way I can bulk add components to my tasks that already exist in Jira? Rather than manually having to add the components to all my existing tasks? 

Thanks,

Connor

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2019

You should be able to achieve this using Bulk edit. Create a JQL filter that captures all of the issues you wish to update and none of the issues you do not want to update. Click on the Bulk change under ellipses in upper right. Select Edit issues and go thru the screens until you get to the list of option and find Components. You can either replace or append.

Like Connor Gamble likes this
Connor Gamble December 16, 2019

It says you can only do it on issues 1 project at a time, but i'll take changing 31 times rather than 700+!

Thanks again!

Connor Gamble December 18, 2019

Is there any way to set a default component when an issue is created? 

Suggest an answer