Multiple approvers on the same status of an issue.

Eric Sebian October 31, 2016

Multiple approvers on the same status of an issue.

For example, I have an issue in a status of pending approval and the issue needs to be approved by the CIO, CTO, and the business owner. I know that I can do it in multiple steps, but that's not what I want. Without the addition of a plugin (im on a cloud instance and most won't work there), I'd like to have the issue stay in the same status until all 3 approve it in any order.

thanks!

2 answers

2 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2016

I've done this several times.

Create 3 select fields, one for each approver with Yes and No options and no default. Only put the field on the related transition outlined below.
Create a project role for each one.
Create a transaction for each role that is is only available when the field is blank and restricted to only someone in that role being able to execute it.
Have the transition require the field be filled in and it points back to the same status
Put a condition on the transition going forward that all three fields must be Yes

You'll need the jira-suite-utilities (available in the cloud)

Chris Peterson January 4, 2017

What do you mean by transaction for each role? I'm guessing you meant Transition? I just tried this, and it doesn't give my project roles the option to do anything for some reason...so I must be doing something wrong

So I got it working, looks like you did mean transition. Unfortunate that you have to download the addon, which is paid now. Thanks for the tips!

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2016

You can create subtasks for each approval and assign it to the respective user. You can then have the subtask blocking condition on the parent story.

Creating subtasks automatically is a challenge in JIRA Cloud but there are some new automation plugins that might do it.

Suggest an answer