Multiple Sprint Management

Kristin Bitler March 31, 2016

Is there somewhere we can vote on this? We have multiple teams and when one sprint is closed, it rolls to another unrelated sprint. Maybe if we can also categorize sprints, the associated stories will fall into the category in which it's already located when the prior sprint is closed. I'm pretty surprised that this isn't a bigger problem with Atlassian since some of your clients have thousands of employees and have multiple and interrelated projects.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2016

Vote on what precisely?

JIRA Software already does parallel sprints, see https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/multiple-active-sprints-in-agile-scrum-board-when-the-parallel-sprint-option-is-disabled-779158592.html and https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-administrator-s-guide/jira-agile-labs#JIRAAgileLabs-BlueFROMJIRAAGILE6.0.3ParallelSprints - then probably add to what they have to say (I'm actually sure you have additional questions here, but I'm not sure where they're already answered in the first doc)

Hi Nic,

After checking your second link, it may be a version issue since we're running 6.4.11. Here's the screenshot of options available to us:

AtlassianScreenShot.jpg

If you can confirm this, that would be great.

Thank you.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2016

Hmm.  From memory, the version of JIRA you are on (6.4.11) supports a version of JIRA Agile where the parallel-sprint stuff is available, albeit as a JIRA Lab (it's safe to assume it's not going away though, unlike some other lab stuff).  What's the Agile version?

Agile version is 6.7.12. Yeah, we can run the parallel sprints but we have some clunkiness to closing them. Like I said, stories in a sprint from one team project will end up on another team projects sprints when their sprint is closed. I know the active stories look for a new sprint when the one they're in is closed but when it goes to another team's sprints...

That's our dilemma and I don't know if a different version of JIRA or Agile will eliminate that issue.

Thank you Nic. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 1, 2016

I don't think there's a way to do this - there's no way JIRA can know what sprint to push issues into if your sprints are cross-team.

Kristin Bitler April 1, 2016

Thanks Nic. That's what I'm finding, as well.

Cheers!

0 votes
Brian Longstreet February 3, 2020

Anyone find an answer for this? We have two sprints running in parallel that cross over the same teams. We're trying to figure out how to close one of them. The option to close a sprint is not available on the active sprint board like it normally is.

Suggest an answer