Multiple Servicedesk Portals

Vinesha D'Mello May 10, 2016

Hello -

I have two service desk projects and each project has a separate set of customers. Customers for One project should not have access to the portal of the other. Is this possible with JIRA Service Desk? If so, how?

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Steve Behnke [DiscoverEquip.com]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2016

This is no problem assuming you have separate groups for each customers.

For instance, in PORTAL A I could set USER GROUP 1 to be customers and in PORTAL B I could set USER GROUP 2 to be customers. These would be mutually exclusive.

image2016-5-10 14:22:37.png

Vinesha D'Mello May 11, 2016

@Steve Behnke [DiscoverEquip.com] Thank you Steve!

How do you assign a group to Customers though? It's usually individual customers.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2016

Can you describe a little bit about your set up? Where are your user accounts from, are they created in Service Desk?

Vinesha D'Mello May 11, 2016

@Steve Behnke [DiscoverEquip.com]  We're integrating with Tivoli Identity manager. I wasn't sure if I would need to create them in Service Desk as well.

Again, thanks for your help!

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2016

Most of JIRA uses groups to determine access levels and permissions.

If you are using Tivoli to create users, you should ensure they are added to an exclusive group such as USER GROUP 1. This way you can define a group membership for customers within the Service Desk, such as Service Desk A only allowing customers from USER GROUP 1.

Users can be added to groups from the User Management within JIRA or from the connected LDAP if that's how you're managing users. 

If you're using an API program to manage users such as Tivoli, you may need to do this within that application over JIRA API – https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/latest/#api/2/group.

Suggest an answer