Multiple JIRA licenses in one company

J February 18, 2015

I want to run JIRA in the following scenario:

There are two teams in my company, each have their own project and share no data or users. I want to install two JIRA instances on two seperate machines, so that each team has their own JIRA. Given that each team has no more than 10 members, am I correct in assuming that, for this scenario, I only need two starter licenses?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2015

Yes.

(That was an easy answer - I can't even pad it beyond "you'll need a 10 user licence for each production server".  So , yes, what you said)

1 vote
Jim C_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 18, 2015

I would like to add to what Nic said, and that you can find how JIRA is licensed in this FAQ.

J February 18, 2015

I read the FAQ, but I wasn't sure if number of active users meant user per instance and not per company/institution. Thanks for clarifying that.

Jim C_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2015

Hi John, it's users per instance. We're happy to help.

K N V S S N Murthy February 28, 2016

Im wondering that, is there any possibility that one user in JIRA (j1.mycompany.com) may authenticate with another JIRA instance (j2.mycompany.com). If so how the licence effects

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2016

You can set up one JIRA to use the other JIRA's user data.

Both systems will need their own licences (e.g. if you have 45 users, you will need 2 50-user licences)

K N V S S N Murthy February 28, 2016

Ok, can i refer the issue in one JIRA to another JIRA instance.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 28, 2016

The basic way to do that is to set up an application link between the two JIRA systems and use the "link issue to url" links in each one to provide the cross reference.  This will be just a link though, it won't do anything other than tell the users that there's an issue in the other system (with the url of course)

K N V S S N Murthy February 29, 2016

Ok,

Suggest an answer