Multiple Customers, single project - How to set it up?

Steven Tucker November 18, 2014

I am trying to setup 1 tracking system for issues across multiple customers.  I don't want the customers to see each others issues but our internal employees need to see all issues.

For example, let's take ACME Corp and Beta Corp as customers with Sally and Mike as users.

I want Sally to view any issues associated with ACME Corp (she may of entered them or support might have entered them for her).  Mike should see all issues for Beta Corp.

John is a support report that needs to see both ACME and Beta Corp issues as well as being able to report an issue for Sally or Mike.

Ideally there are 2 other categories of issues as well.  John could create an issue that is private to only the company.  He could also create a public issue that both Sally and Mike would see.

I believe the answer is a combination of permission schemas and issue security but I have not been able to get the desired functionality correct.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2 answers

0 votes

I think I am almost there.  I think this is my final question,  Is it possible to remove None from the list of options in the Security Level drop down?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2014

Not without a bit of code. I can't remember if you can set the field as mandatory in the field configuration either (that fixes "none" in custom fields, if you set a defualt, but it may not work for security level because some people may not be in the default rule)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2014

You're on the right track.

Start with permission schemes - this bit is easy.  Does a person need to see anything in the project?  If yes, then they need browse permission.  If they need the be assigned any issue, they need "assignable user".  And so-on.  It's purely a project level access thing, nothing to do with the separation of organisations you are looking at.  (Pay attention to the "set security level" - you probably want to let them all have that)

So, now you've got a project that all of your customers can see.

Now, you will need to logically group everyone from Acme together somehow, then something different for Beta Corp, and something for your employees.  By far the easiest way is the obvious "put all Acme users in a group called Acme, Beta Corp people into a Beta Corp group, and your people into Employees" and so-on, but that really is the most simple case.

Then, you define a security scheme that has security levels of "Acme" and "Beta", with the Acme one saying "Only employees and people in Acme" and the Beta one saying "Only employees in Beta".

Then extend these rules to cover your other cases.

When a user in Acme creates an issue will it automatically go into the Acme security group?  This was not happening for me but I suspect it was due to the fact the Set Issue Security was not enabled.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2014

Not automatically, although you can make the field mandatory (users can only select levels they belong to)

Deleted user November 18, 2014

Hi Steven Take a look at my comment here: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/325771/answers/2821063 . Which is very similar to Nic's approach, but, through the use of the Automation plugin we automatically set the security of the issue based on the users group memberships. Seems to work nicely.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2014

Oh, yes, if you've got access to plugins, then you have loads of automation options. I've used the script runner and my own simple plugins to set it automatically. Not tried it with the automation plugin, but it sounds like that's just as good an option.

Suggest an answer