Multiple Custom Field Configurations in Same Project

Cameron Jezorek April 15, 2013

So I am not sure if I am just not googling the correct thing but I cannot find anything on doing mulitple custom field configs within the same project.

Here is my need... I have 1 field that will be displayed on 6 different subtask types within the same project. I need the list of displayed options to vary depending upon the subtask that is being created. For example...

• Subtask type 1 should have choices 1, 2, & 3 only.
  • Subtask type 2 should have choices 3, 4, & 5 only.
  • Subtask type 3 should have choices 6, 7, & 8 only.
  • etc.

Is this possible? If so, how do I achieve it?

FYI - I am running JIRA 5.1 and I have tried adding additiona configs for the custom field but cannot add as many as needed becasue once I am forced to make a project selection on my second config and once the desired project is used I can't reuse it.

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 15, 2013

Hi there

Referring to your issue, here is already an improvement request raised : JRA-6851

Please feel free to vote on it to increase its popularity and add yourself as watcher in order to receive any latest updates from the developer and feedback from other user that is facing the same issue.

Cheers :)

darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 15, 2013

No problem :) You can always accept my answer as a token of appreciation :p

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2013

You should definitively vote on that issue... It's been around for AGES

Thanks - watched & voted!

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2013

Just be aware that for example reporting capabilities (two-dimensional filter statistics etc.) are extremely limited regarding cascading select fields....

0 votes
Cameron Jezorek April 16, 2013

Cascading select is actually the route I ended up using, I couldn't force myself to create 5 different fields - would just have casued more confusion, etc when pulling reports for the users.

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2013

What about using a cascading type custom field, making the parent selections "Subtask type 1", "Sub-task type 2", "Sub-task type 3" and then the secondary selections whatever they need to be for each?

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2013

You'Re right. As far as I know you can limit the options using contexts but once a context is defined for a project (issue type) you can't use another context on another issue type in that same project.

BTW, the question exists on Answers already :-)

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/31311/how-to-configure-jira-custom-field-values-by-issue-type-context

Thanks, for the info..

I guess I will just have to go the convaluted & bulky route of creating seperate fields for each form.

Suggest an answer