Multiple AD User Directories Used as security Groups

Tom Van den Bossche October 6, 2016

Hello,

We are trying to Configure JIRA  in a way we can set the permissions using External Directories.

We would have one AD Group to grant access to JIRA (e.g. JIRA users) and multiple Team directories (e.g all starting with Team. This means that users would exist in multiple User directories:

1. Access to the application
  2. Member of Team

When we do this, and place the main group (application access) in the first position and the Team Directory in the Second position it has not the desired result.

Users are created and granted access to the application but, and although the groups from the second directory are created (Team), the users are not placed into the groups.

Is there a way to work around this issue or is there another way to achieve this?

Thanks, Tom

1 answer

0 votes
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2016

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing, but i had a similar issue that i solved like this, if i understood you correctly. Here is the question i added:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/36189176.

The workaround was to create a script on our AD servers that created parallel groups in a shared directory. If the scenario looks like this:

Domain1

• Admins

Domain2

• Admins

Domain3

• Admins

we have a script that creates 3 groups in one of the domain like:

Domain1

• Admins.Domain1
  • Admins.Domain2
  • Admins.Domain3

This does however demand that all 3 groups that are created are added to permission schemes, restrictions and more, but at least it works even if it clutters the AD with yet another folder where 3 each groups exist.

Suggest an answer