Moving users and groups between crowd and ldap directories

aarnetadmin May 29, 2012

OK, so according to the crowd docco, you can import users and groups:

* From an LDAP directory to a Delegated Authentication directory.
* From one internal Crowd directory to another internal Crowd directory.

This is quite inflexible. One of the reasons we're moving with crowd is to move off our legacy, crufty ldap store to something saner. However, without the ability to sanely import from LDAP (delegated or no) into crowd this is not really possible, and thus negates much of the promise of Crowd.

For example, we use a delegted LDAP directory for auth, with many local groups in Jira. If I import from Jira, I get no users, and all the groups. If I use delegated LDAP auth in crowd, I get the users, but none of the groups. There seems to be no way to merge these for rationalisation and management.

Someone please tell me if I'm missing something here.

3 answers

0 votes
Vijay Krishna B
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2014

Hi Septa,

I'm importing over 5000 users to crowd and it is not responding in the middle(as i see the logs it is not runnig)after runnnig 2465 records.

Is there any limit for the number of users to be imported for Crowd using 'CSV importer'?
Is the already ran records will be added to the crowd or it will be reverted?

How can i make the server to run to again?

Please revert back soon.

Thanks in advance,

Vijay krishna

0 votes
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2012

Hi Rob,

If you want a flexible importer you might want to choose CSV importer. Its a bit complicated as it is a manual job to create the CSV files (SQL query might help you start the process), but you have complete control on which users and groups membership you want to import.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Septa Cahyadiputra

0 votes
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2012

Hi Rob,

If you want a flexible importer you might want to choose CSV importer. Its a bit complicated as it is a manual job to create the CSV files (SQL query might help you start the process), but you have complete control on which users and groups membership you want to import.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Septa Cahyadiputra

Suggest an answer