Moving to Service Desk 2.0+, how did you accommodate workflow-based approvals?

Stephen Hayden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 28, 2016

Automation? A plugin give you a way to somewhat preserve the process?

When a ticket is submitted to our IT Help Desk it is common to assign it to that person's manager for them to approve.  Looking to emulate that as closely as I can without just having the entire org end up slowly becoming agents of the IT Helpdesk.

This was asked previously with no meaningful response: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/252470

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Georges Moubarak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 28, 2016

Hi @Stephen Hayden,

Unfortunately only agents can edit/transition a service desk request. You could assign your managers as collaborators and they can add internal comments and they can "approve" a request in the comments. You could take it a step further by adding automation to the request by adding a rule that the request is automatically transitioned after a comment. But you can't control if the comment is an approval or rejection.

Stephen Hayden
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 29, 2016

Yeah, I think that's the challenge in a ~3k person org, there are so many managers and so many other possible sources of approval, it's not a very scalable approach to approvals.  Especially with how limited the SD Automation is (wish there was a simple 'comment is by assignee/user custom field (approver)').

Then again, I can't assign it to them if they're not an agent.  This is fun.

0 votes
Stephen Hayden
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 1, 2016

Couldn't I add my entire org as agents and manage other permissions (browse, edit, etc) with other roles?  

Problem of course them shifts to the warning message about misconfigured Service Desk that can't be dismissed at this point still?

Edit: the answer is no, this breaks Service Desk, very irrational behavior from the app if you do this.  Can inflate my agent count past 3600 for a project.  Then just removing the edit permission - not even touching agents - and the agent count drops to 127 for no reason at all.  Bizarre.

Suggest an answer