Moving the Done Tasks to the Backlog and changing the status as To Do through automation rules

Hanieh Katebian February 10, 2021

Hello everyone, 
I have a Kanban board populated with around 500 issues. As they are routine works and should take place regularly, I need to create an automation rule which orders the issue to move back to the To-Do status after it is on Done with a new due date. Everything works fine and my automation rule does the job, just a small problem is that the issue stays on the board and populates my board with tasks for the next year. My question is, is there any way for me to send this task directly to the backlog?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tessa Tuteleers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2021

Hi @Hanieh Katebian , 

you mention you are on a kanban board, a kanban board with a backlog (kanplan) uses the backlog as a "hidden" column, which is basically mapped to a status. 
Do your issues have a "Backlog" status before the todo? Could you change your automation to move the issues back to that status? 

You could also adjust your board filter altogether to hide issues with duedates more than x in the future. 

Hope any of these suggestions make sense, if not, please elaborate on your workflow, situation..

- Tessa

Hanieh Katebian February 10, 2021

Hi @Tessa Tuteleers ,

thanks for the response. Actually, the backlog is not a column on my board. It is just a place for all my tickets to wait for the right time to be on the board. Id I create an extra column as Backlog on my board, it will also contain 600 tasks which is very annoying and hard o follow. 

I tried to add filter on my board, unfortunately I don't understand why I can't find the settings of my Kanban board. I mean the board belongs to the project. Should I create a new board? It is just confusing. 

Tessa Tuteleers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2021

Hi @Hanieh Katebian , 

You will need to create a new filter that looks something like this: 

project = "yourProject" AND(duedate < startOfMonth(6) or duedate is empty) 

-> which gives you all issues in your project that don't have a duedate more than 6 months in the future.

You can find out how to configure the scope of your board here.

You could also just leave the scope of the board alone, and add a quickfilter to filter out the issues that are too far in the future, thus being able to toggle them in and out of view whenever you want. 

Good luck!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events