Moving sub-task to another project

ashleyg June 10, 2014

How to move a sub-task created under some parent issue of a project to another project as a sub-task?

6 answers

2 votes
Frédéric Tardieu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2014

Hi Ashley,

The only solution I see right now is to convert a sub task into an issue in the same project (using the More/Convert to Issue menu item, then move the newly created issue in the new project, and make it a sub task of another issue in the new project.

But in fact, instead of using sub tasks, you should maybe "Link" issues between themselves, because in this case you can link issues which are in different project (see More/Link menu item when looking at an issue). In this case, choose an out of the box link type, or create a link type named "is a subtask of" or "is the parent of", depending of the origin issue.

My 2 cents,

Fred

Frédéric Tardieu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2014

Exactly same comment from you as previous one?!

ashleyg June 16, 2014

Hi Fred,

I tried as per your suggestion but it only allows to bulk move subtasks from a parent issue to another parent issue in same project. I juts wanted that to happen between different projects if you correctly understand.

Please suggest me some alternatives or plugins.

ashleyg June 16, 2014

Hi Fred,

I'm sorry i mistakenly did this.

What i wanted to ask is that i don't see any Option called Link Menu Item under more when looking at an issue. What i see is just link option which doesn't give option of anything related to sub-task.

Frédéric Tardieu
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 16, 2014

Hi Ashley,

No problem!

I am talking about the Link menu item which is accessible by clicking on the More button, as shown in this snapshot:

When you click on the Link menu item, you get an inline dialog like this one:

Which allow you to link your sub task with any other task. You can select the link type, but as I previously said, to make the things more clear, you can maybe create a new link type, and name it for instance "is a subtask of"...

Fred

ashleyg June 16, 2014

Hi Fred,

I tried as per your suggestion but it only allows to bulk move subtasks from a parent issue to another parent issue in same project. I juts wanted that to happen between different projects if you correctly understand.

BR,

Ujjwal

0 votes
Deleted user March 29, 2019

Another solution would be to move the issue with the sub-tasks and while moving convert it to a subtask under the issue where you want to move your sub-tasks. That way you will convert the issue to a sub-task and move all the sub-tasks under that issue to the new issue.

0 votes
Frédéric Tardieu
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2014

Hi Ashley,

I don't see any other solution with JIRA out of the box. But you may have a look to this plugin: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/info.renjithv.jira.plugins.bulkmove.bulkmove-subtasks-jira-plugin,I did not try it but it may solve your problem...

Cheers,

Fred

ashleyg June 16, 2014

Hi Fred,

BR,

Ujjwal

0 votes
Frédéric Tardieu
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2014

Hi Ashley,

• Go to Serch Issue menu item under Issues menu from top navigation bar,
  • Perform a search showing your sub task,
  • Click on "Tools" button (right up corner) and select Bulk change
  • Select the sub task, click next,
  • Select move to another project.

I don't see any other way to do it...

ashleyg June 10, 2014

Hi Fred,

Many thanks for the answer but my problem is that it is not allowing to migrate sub-task to another project. It allows only issue migration. So ihave to first convert my sub-task into some issue type and then migrate that to another project.

Do you see any other alternative?

0 votes
Frédéric Tardieu
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2014

Hi,

A sub task needs a parent task by definition, do you mean you want a sub task to be a sub task of another task from another project?

Fred

ashleyg June 10, 2014

Yes Fred you are correct.

All i want is to somehow associate sub-task of one project as sub-task for some issue in another project

0 votes
ashleyg June 10, 2014

Can anybody suggest some means to move sub-task under a parent issue of some project to get associated with another project? Urgent requirement please....

Suggest an answer