Moving single Jira-Projects from 6.2 instance to 6.2.1 instance

Mario Günter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2014

Hi folks,

once again I need you to help me.

I wonder, if you know the best way to do that. I cannot Upgrade 6.2 for the next couple of weeks (PROD). But we would ned to have some of the projects including issues into our 6.2 instance.

I tried to do a Backup in 6.2 and then importing it into 6.2.1 - no success.

Is there any other way?

Best Regards,

Mario

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mario Günter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2014

Hi all,

i got it!

Transfering a project from FOO(6.2) to BAR(6.2.1), HowTo.

1. Full Export of FOO

2. Created a virtual VM Win7 x86 with Jira 6.2 - let's say TEST

3. Imported a single project into TEST (followed the Jira Wizard)
- Restoring from FULL-Backup ended up in errors an died completely! See (log.log).

4. Upgraded TEST to 6.2.1

5. Full Export of TEST

6. Create the project you want to import in BAR and customize the project settings, so that
project-FOO matches project-BAR

7. Import single project from TEST-Export into BAR

8. If an error like 'projectroleid... ' occurs, follow this instructions from Marcus Silveira
[Atlassian] here:
https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/93770/no-projectroleid-field-for-projectroleactor<br< a="">> Than do step 7 again.

9. Done.

That worked for me. Hope this helps someone out there.

Best Regards,

Mario

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2014

You will have to

1. setup a test environment for the current prod
  2. upgrade it to 6.2.1
  3. export the data to XML from there
  4. use the new export while importing projects on to the target JIRA instance.
Mario Günter
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2014

Hi Jobin!

Thank you, I'll try that!

Best Regards,

Mario

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2014

Yes, that's safer that my suggestion.

Mario Günter
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 29, 2014

Hi all,

i tried the full restore and gained following error stack:

http://www.file-upload.net/download-8869909/log.log.html

What can I do now to prevent this?

Thanks,

Mario

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 29, 2014

Can you list the exact steps you used ?

The right sequence is:

1. create a test instance of JIRA (version 6.2)
  2. Import the full backup
  3. Upgrade to 6.2.1
  4. Export from test
  5. Import to prod
Mario Günter
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 29, 2014

Hi Boris,

I got stuck at point 2. I installed a fresh Jira (version 6.2) and tried to import the full backup there. For some reasen the error (see above) occurred.

So I decided to import one single project for test purposes. That worked! So then I did upgrade 6.2 to 6.2.1 and exportet the previous imported project.

In my production environment first I couldn't import. Cause was this here: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/93770/no-projectroleid-field-for-projectroleactor

As I edited the xml the import went through.

Although it is a bit cumbersome, but it worked that way.

However, thank you for the support!

Best Regards,

Mario

0 votes
Mario Günter
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2014

Hi Boris,

I get this error:

Diese Daten scheinen aus einer älteren JIRA-Version zu stammen. Aktualisieren Sie die Daten und versuchen Sie es erneut. Die aktuelle JIRA-Version ist bei Build-Nummer '6256', aber die Sicherungsdatei ist für Build-Nummer '6252'.

@Admin -Import Project.

Mario

0 votes
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2014

What exactly means "no success" ? What problems are you experiencing ?

The import should be possible.

Mario Günter
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2014

Hi Boris,

I get this error:

Diese Daten scheinen aus einer älteren JIRA-Version zu stammen. Aktualisieren Sie die Daten und versuchen Sie es erneut. Die aktuelle JIRA-Version ist bei Build-Nummer '6256', aber die Sicherungsdatei ist für Build-Nummer '6252'.

In Admin - Import Project.

Mario

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2014

Try editing the build number manually in the entities.xml in the backup, so it matches - change 6252 to 6256

Search for "Build #" string in the entities.xml,change it and try again the import.

Suggest an answer