Moving issue type to new issue type but cannot change status, is this possible?

Davina Tsosie February 23, 2017

Greetings,

Example: Issue comes in as a Request and goes through the default workflow but it is decided that it is now an Enhancement so I'm using the Move option to change the issue type from Request to Enhancement.

Enhancement uses a workflow similar to the default workflow that Requests uses but it contains an approval process after Open status. Is it possible to change the status of the issue, at any stage it was in initially, to the Open status after the issue type is changed from Request to Enhancement?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2017

The move process asks the minimum it can of the user.  So, if the target issue type's workflow uses the same status the issue is currently in before the move, it won't ask you to change it because it can transfer it automatically.

You've got two options I think

1. Write some code that can catch "issue moved" and do a "see what status was and transition it back to open in the new workflow if appropriate"
  2. Change the workflows so that they only share the status that you don't need to change (e.g if the request is open when it's moved to an enhancement, there's no need to change it)

Davina Tsosie February 24, 2017

I tried using Automation when: Value changes for Issue Type then move issue to Open.But it is not working. I cannot attach images as I get this message:

Error creating temp file in folder: /opt/j2ee/domains/atlassian.com/answers-confluence/home/attachments/ver003/nonspaced/86/239/56989336/57000365

I tried adding Issue Type to Edit Menu screen but selecting drop down for Issue Type it shows other available issue types except Enhancement. Is this because Enhancement uses a different workflow?

My project automation also didn't work when changing issue type to available issue type, it did not transition issue to Open status.

Where would I 1. Write some code that can catch "issue moved" and do a "see what status was and transition it back to open in the new workflow if appropriate"  ?

Thanks for your help.

Davina

Suggest an answer