Moving from SVN to Git. What happens to Fisheye Crucible data?

Timothy Harris July 3, 2017

Use case

SVN is the VCS system. Fisheye and Crucible are used for searching code and reviews.

Team now wants to migrate from SVN to Git and start using Bitbucket.  

Question(s)

• It would be the best case scenario if the old SVN repository did not need to be maintained as it now exists as a Git repository. But I would think that this requires some type of migration of the code reviews to the proper Git Sha2 and maybe quite a bit more. Has anyone tried this? Is it even worth the trouble?
  • If we just keep the SVN server running and make it read only I would think all the data in the development panel in jira would be fine. But what if we simply shutdown the SVN server? Will FECRU continue to serve the information to Jira from a local clone?

1 answer

0 votes
Felipe Kraemer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 11, 2017

Hello @Timothy Harris,

For question #1)

Your best option is to stop indexing the SVN repository, but keep it configured in Fisheye, so as to be able to work on existing reviews and to see historic data from it in Jira side, and then start working and committing changes only in the Git repository, which you should let Fisheye keep indexing, and create new reviews only from this Git repository, from now onwards. The SVN repository would just remain there for serving historic data.

For question #2) 

If you stop the indexing of that SVN repository in Fisheye you can safely shutdown the SVN server. As Fisheye create local indexes of your repositories, it will continue to serve the information to Jira from its local caches.

I hope this helps!

Suggest an answer