Moving from Jira Cloud to Jira Server

Andrew Thorne October 8, 2019

Hello,

We have an outside consultancy, who have developed a project for us. All of their Jira issues are in their Jira Cloud instance. However, as the project is coming back to us to maintain in-house, we would like the issues in our Jira Server instance.

I have had a look but I am unable to find any way to do this with plug-ins. 

Does anybody know how we can archive this Jira Cloud project and restore to Jira Server?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Andrew

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2019

Hi @Andrew Thorne 

You will need to do the following:

1. Setup a staging JIRA server
  2. Take a server backup from the cloud instance(they can also perform step 1 with you as they need to delete any project that you do not need before handing over to you).
  3. Restore the backup on the staging server.
  4. Get Configuration Manager or Project Configurator for JIRA add-ons from the marketplace and install on both your target and source instances.
  5. Backup your production instance
  6. Using the add-on copy all your configuration from the staging to production.
  7. Grab a backup of your staging server and perform project import on the production server.

The above is a general outline of what to do. However there are lots of nuances that you need to factor in that change based on various instances such as fixing usernames, fixing duplicate project keys, to name a few and because of this, I suggest doing the above steps on a test server first before attempting on your production server.

Cheers.

Hi, @Ismael Jimoh ,

This does seem to be a lot of work for one project but it does give me an idea: rather than creating a new instance of Jira and importing all the projects, I just do a project import of the required project into out existing development environment and use Configuration Manager, which we already have, to export the project when we are certain that everything has worked correctly.

Thanks you as I now have something to propose.

Andrew

Like # people like this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2019

Hi @Andrew Thorne ,

This page is for people who are currently using Jira Cloud, and wish to move to Jira Server (a Jira installation hosted on your own servers).

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/migrating-from-jira-cloud-to-server-applications-938846963.html?_ga=2.104593728.1777880760.1570497936-125049093.1566035214

Hi, @Ollie Guan ,

Thanks for this page. It is certainly something to look in to but the outside consultancy would be exporting their whole Jira database and they would not want us to see what other projects they have been / are working on.

I suppose th consultant could do the project import and that way I would never have the export file so their other data would always be safe.

Thanks again, Ollie, there are things to think about here.

Andrew

Suggest an answer