Moving from Internal JIRA directory to Internal Directory with LDAP Authentication

Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2014

I have JIRA 6.3.3 and 500 users in internal directory. 

Plan is to move to Internal Directory with LDAP Authentication. 

My question is what happens to existing users? If I have a current user with username john.smith after LDAP setup will this user still be the same entity in JIRA or I will have a second john.smith in JIRA? 

I assume as long at the username in JIRA matches that of LDAP it should just be fine and no new user is created in JIRA. But I need confirmation so I know what needs to be done after LDAP setup. 

Also should I enable "Copy user on First login"? Does that not create a duplicate john.smith?

Depending on what the answer is I would like to know what happens for users whose username in JIRA internal does not match the one in LDAP. 

PS: I read through https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Connecting+to+an+Internal+Directory+with+LDAP+Authentication

but was not clear on these questions. 

Thanks. 

1 answer

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2014
  1. There won't be a duplicate user created. The users will start using LDAP password once the directory is added above internal user directory
  2. It is recommended to enable "Copy user on first login". This will be used only for users who not in internal directory yet. Again, no duplicates will be created.
Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 5, 2014

what happens for users whose username in JIRA internal does not match the user name in LDAP?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 5, 2014

They will remain as users in internal user directory and will continue to use the local password.

Suggest an answer