Moving from Internal JIRA directory to Internal Directory with LDAP Authentication

I have JIRA 6.3.3 and 500 users in internal directory. 

Plan is to move to Internal Directory with LDAP Authentication. 

My question is what happens to existing users? If I have a current user with username john.smith after LDAP setup will this user still be the same entity in JIRA or I will have a second john.smith in JIRA? 

I assume as long at the username in JIRA matches that of LDAP it should just be fine and no new user is created in JIRA. But I need confirmation so I know what needs to be done after LDAP setup. 

Also should I enable "Copy user on First login"? Does that not create a duplicate john.smith?

Depending on what the answer is I would like to know what happens for users whose username in JIRA internal does not match the one in LDAP. 

PS: I read through https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Connecting+to+an+Internal+Directory+with+LDAP+Authentication

but was not clear on these questions. 

Thanks. 

1 answer

0 votes
  1. There won't be a duplicate user created. The users will start using LDAP password once the directory is added above internal user directory
  2. It is recommended to enable "Copy user on first login". This will be used only for users who not in internal directory yet. Again, no duplicates will be created.

what happens for users whose username in JIRA internal does not match the user name in LDAP?

They will remain as users in internal user directory and will continue to use the local password.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,063 views 13 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot