Moving customfield values to a different customfield

Bill Kepner February 13, 2014

We just migrated a significant bugzilla environment to JIra (>5000 issues). During the process, either I didn't understand what it was trying to do, or the migration tool not undersntanding what I wanted, but we got a number of new custom fields created and bugzilla data loaded into them. In some cases, the names are the same with the existing fields. An exampe is the Bug_ID; we already had a Bugzilla field, but now we have two :-)

Realistically, this isn't a huge problem, but I see a time in the future when someone will try to create a report including this data and totlally get confused about which field to use.

My question is what is the risk factor if I go into the DB (with Jira down of course) and change the rows of the "bad" customfield to point to the correct customfield (column). This relationship seems to be straight forward and I have actualy done something like this in the past. I just thought I'd ask the expert's opinion. Of course this isn't supported by the vendor and of course I will take prudent backups.

Bill Kepner

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2014

Suggest an answer