Moving attachments from one JIRA instance to another

Susanne Harelius [Riada]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2013

I have a customer who now is using a clients JIRA instance and I am helping them with starting up on their own. But they need to move issues from the client instance to their internal new instance. I have read here: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/24187/is-there-a-tool-or-method-to-export-a-project-from-one-instance-of-jira-test-and-import-the-project-into-another-jira-instance-production. But that is mostly about configuration and that is not so important as the comments and the attachments. Is there a way to get the attachments with us?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Susanne Harelius [Riada]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2013

Accordingly to a former colleuge it it possible to get the attachtment by using the weblink and importing a cvs file with that. Then Importer gets this and imports the file in the new instance. I have not tried this. But will.

Bhupesh Nagda August 17, 2017

Hi Susanne,

Dit it work for you? could you please give some more details?

Best,

Bhupesh

Susanne Harelius [Riada]
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 21, 2017

Sorry but not sure I remember. I think not actually. Now there are add-ons that can help you I think. Good luck! 

Stéphane Veraart December 13, 2018

@Susanne Harelius [Riada]: What add-ons were you referring to? Importing the links doesn't work. I know of Configuration Manager as an option but that is too expensive for this client so maybe you have experience with alternatives?

2 votes
James Thomas February 14, 2019

Hi All,

If you are trying to import issues from one instance to another instance, then there is a simple workaround we can apply here.

Make sure that the source and destination JIRA can talk each other. 

First add the group "Anyone" on to the "browse projects" permission for the source project, so that the destination JIRA instance can directly access the projects without authenticating.

Then export the issues into csv and do the csv import, it will import the attachment data from source to destination without any issues.

Don't forget the change the permission back to the original state ;)

Regards,

James

Christine Namur November 13, 2019

Hi James,

Does this solution work when migrating from one Jira Cloud to another Jira Cloud instance? Or does it only work for migration between Jira servers?

Thanks,

Christine

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 29, 2013

What you may want to try is the Project Import (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Restoring+a+Project+from+Backup). This also restores the attachments.

Susanne Harelius [Riada]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 30, 2013

Thanks! I will look at this.

Suggest an answer