Moving a project from on JIRA instance to another,what happens with custom fields ?

Carmen Nadeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2015

We have 2 JIRA instances, same versions, same users. I want to move a project from one to another. I know what to do with the configurations (workflows, schemes, versions, etc) but I am not sure about the customfields.

I don't have the same customfields in the 2 intances. Even if I create them, it fear it will not work because of their ids. I am right in thinking that ? if so is it possible to do it and how can I do it?

Thanks for your help

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Benito Picarelli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2015

Hi Carmen,

It's information will be based off of the Custom Field name when the project import moves the project over. It doesn't matter if the ID is already being used. 

Cheers!

0 votes
Carmen Nadeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2015

Thank you, yes I read this and understand all I have to do.

My question is what will happen when I have a customfield named Benefice [cf1230] in my JIRA 1 and in JIRA 2 I have the same field Benefice but with id [cf1500] and the custom field with [cf1230] in my JIRA 2 is named Office ?? What will happen to the data, will it show Benefice or Office in JIRA 2 ??

1. JIRA 1:
    1. Benefice  [cf1230]
  2. JIRA 2:
    1. Benefice  [cf1500]
    2. Office [cf1230]
0 votes
Arthur Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2015

Hi Carmen,

As described here, you'll need to setup the same custom fields from source instance on the target instance, otherwise their values will not be imported.

Regards,

Arthur Gonçalves

Suggest an answer