Moving Zephyr Test Cases Between JIRA Projects

Roger Godfrey April 24, 2013

Hi All,

We are tidying up our older JIRA projects and restructuring operations. This has lead to moving the contents of an older JIRA project (lets call it OLD1) into a new JIRA project (lets call it NEW1). These are both on the same JIRA server.

This has all gone well using the bulk move functionality in the Issue view. However we are having problems with the Zephyr test cases in NEW1. The test cases have transfered, but we seem to have lost all the Test Summary, Test Cycle and Execution Data.

How do I tansfer over this data that was previously associated with OLD1?

Thanks,

Roger

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2013

Hi Roger,

My apologies, you can not transfer the executions between projects. The information that Daniel provided you with is correct. The structure plugin is just to help with many of the bulk options it has available. If you do have any other questions on this issue however feel free to re open the ticket with Daniel. We are happy to help.

Kind Regards,

Emily

Roger Godfrey May 7, 2013

Hi Emily,

I will commiunicate with Daniel and ask for this to be put on the feature request list.

Once again thankyou for your prompt reply and information.

Kind Regards,

Roger

3 votes
AmandaA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2013

Hi Roger,

As this is a Zephyr plugin related issue, while wating for the answer here I will recommand you to contact the vendor/support for a better handling. Here is the details for the support:

• Zephyr
  • Phone: +1-510-400-8656
  • support@getzephyr.com

http://support.yourzephyr.com

Besides, you can add the zephyr add on tag into your questions, because normally the related vendor/support will search the question here based on tags.

Regards

2 votes
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2013

Hi Amanda,

We at Zephyr are happy to help out our customers, however, we do not appreciate our contact information being posted in such a manner. When supplying our information please be sure to add the email address with a special format such as 'support at getzephyr dot com'. This is due to potential spam we may recieve. We do post our email address on our website in this format for this reason: 'support (at) getzephyr.com'. So please follow our policies if providing our contact information.

Also, we work 6am-6pm PST M-F. This is important to note since these are the hours that we will be available to respond.

Roger,

What version of Zephyr for JIRA are you currently running? We recently released Zephyr for JIRA 1.7 which you may find useful in your situation. In Zephyr for JIRA 1.7 we enabled bulk cloning from the Structure plugin which you could use to solve your issue. I also want to note that any plugin that uses the same back end architechture as Structure should work with Zephyr for JIRA 1.7 as well. However, we did not have time to test other plugins so we are unsure of which are compatable. We have tested the Structure plugin and are 100% positive that it is compatable.

Note: Zephyr for JIRA 1.7 does require you to be running JIRA version 5.1.x or higher.

Kind Regards,

Emily

Roger Godfrey May 6, 2013

Hi Emily,

Many thanks for reply and appologies for the delay in my response.

In terms of versions:

Atlassian JIRA (v5.2.4.1#846-sha1:7ae4d02)
Zephyr for JIRA: 1.7.0.1021

Structure: 2.2.1

I have seperatly been talking with Daniel Gannon from your organisation who has given me this response:

Once Test issues are moved from a project, the previous executions are lost because the link is broken and can not be remade by moving the issues back to the project. While you can move issues from one project to another, since the executions are separate entities, they will not move with them and are instead lost.

If you still want those old executions, you will need to pull them from a previous backup made before the move.

Also, currently, there is no way to move executions from one project to another. I can add this to our feature request list if you wish.

So as I understand this, Daniel says that we need to restore our test executions from a backup (which is I believe we do have), and then from what you mentioned in your posting here, we can transfer (clone) executions between projects using the Structure plugin?

Have I understood this correctly?

Thanks,

Roger

Andrew Morin September 9, 2013

Emily,

We were looking for the same functionality of having execution follow a cloned or moved test issue. Just so I am clear if we used the Structure Plugin would it preserve the executions when we bulk cloned test issues from one project to another? Or would we still have to restore them and clone them using the Structure Plugin?

Thanks

Andrew

Gaven Ray October 11, 2017

How has Zephyr not fixed this since 2013? Moving issues between projects has been apart of JIRA since at least JIRA 3. I am dealing with this same issue. Does anyone know if QASymphony has the same problem?

Like David Stallard likes this
Bert van Dijk _TMC_nl_
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 9, 2019

Just experienced the same problem. So even in 2019 (6 years), Zephyr did nothing to fix this.

dcharles January 24, 2020

Just experienced the same issue. At the very least, they should add a warning when you try to move to another project.

Like steve.ybarra likes this
Felix Hempel November 9, 2020

Same issue here ... Is there really no way at all of preserving the test executions when moving the test to another project?

Like roberts.luksa likes this

Suggest an answer