Moving User Stories or bugs from one project to a newly created project can i retain the IC number?

l_thomas February 19, 2021

I wish to close a project as i am leaving the organisation.  There are a few items that have been earmarked for review later in the year  whether a Phase 2 or a future project , budget depending.

i want to close  or archive the project so that it is read only then open a new project with those that require action for someone else to take over.   I would like to retain the IC-numbers as these are already given to the Stakeholders and are referenced in the documents the data was imported into Jira from.   This enables an audit trail.   

Will Jira retain the numbers?     is it better to archive the project or close it?

Thank you

2 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2021

“IC number”? Do you mean the issue key number? The issue key is the project key with a sequential number , e.g. ABC-123. If you move an issue to another project the issue key will change, e.g. DEF-333.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2021

However, JIRA retains the old number and you can still find the issue by the old number

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2021

In case "IC number" would be a custom field you could "copy it over" to the new project (by means as in "clone") - they will not change unless there is some automation or other logic behind it.

If understood all correctly you are going to sunset the existing project - so the high level steps are to

- create a new one
- clone (copy over) some issues that require further attention in future (this probably needs the most attention, f.e. an option would be to move the issues)
- and finally you set the old project to read only

If IC Number is only the internal speak for the issue key in your company then indeed what Jack and Joe mentioned applies.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events