Moving Projects Between JIRA Online instances

Paula Robinson July 4, 2014

We currently have 2 Jira v6.3-OD-07-013 online instances and I need to merge these into one instance. I have seen the steps for moving projects between instances but wanted to verify what is the best way / easiest way of achieving this.

I've tried to download a local version of Jira, but this is version 2.6.7 so the project import will not work as the versions are not the same. I'm able to import the first online instance from a backup, but then the project import function is no longer available to try and import the projects from the other instance.

Is there any way of achieving this?

1 answer

0 votes
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 6, 2014

Hi Paula,

The best way to achieve that is to install a local instance and restore the two OnDemand instances, first you get the smallest one and after restoring, generate an XML Backup on JIRA 6.2.7. Then restore the biggest one and after that, you can use the first XML Backup to import projects on the local JIRA.

After that you can generate a final XML Backup that will have all projects ready to import on the OnDemand.

;)

Paula Robinson July 22, 2014

Thanks Pedro,

I've tried this, however when I restore the first of the OnDemand instances into the local instance I am then not able to generate an XML Backup on JIRA 6.2.7.

I have a user with access to all the group permissions in JIRA but I only have the option of External System Import under the Import & Export heading in System Administration.

Is there a permission setting that I'm missing?

Paula Robinson July 23, 2014

Hi Pedro,

I found another article mentioning that you need to log in with the sysadmin user once the backup is restored. This now works and I can backup the project.

Thanks

Suggest an answer