Moving PostgreSQL database from a server to db-hotel

Svante Gustafsson Björkegren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2013

I am running a JIRA instance (5.2) with an external PostgreSQL database (8.2) on a separate server. Both the db-server and the PostgreSQL version is near or at EOL and I want to move the database to a brand new PostgreSQL database-hotel.

Are there any best practices for this? Could I just follow the instructions in the Switching Database documentation? This is a two-staged activity as I see it, both upgrade the database version and move to a new server.

Any recommendations on what the order should be?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2013

You'll have to read the Postgress documentation on which to upgrade first. After all, you want to upgrade the database & the server right and not JIRA?

After you've upgraded both, you then try to connect back JIRA to the DB. You may not even need to switch database.

Svante Gustafsson Björkegren
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2013

What I really want is to move the PostgreSQL database away from the outdated database server it sits on today, so it is actually the old hardware I want to get rid of. The new server already hosts a newer version of PostgreSQL. So my question is if I should upgrade PostgreSQL on old server to the same version first and make sure it works with JIRA and then move the database to the new server (which now has the same PostgreSQL version).

Hmm, it feels that I am answering my own question now :-) That should probably be the migration path!

First upgrade the old hardware, verify and the switch server and verify again!

Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2013

And you're right! You've answered your own question. Because after you've confirmed that JIRA works with the new Postgres, all you need to do is move the data over to the new server and point JIRA there.

Suggest an answer