Moving JIRA to a new server, since the license used the old servers ID what do I need to do?

rinorio March 27, 2013

We started this on windows but discovered subversion and so on are not to happy with IIS and it wasrecommendedthat we move over to linux. SoI started the process but it won't allow me to use the same db (needs to be empty during install) and after i create a new db (hoping i can imprt the old data or use the od db) it get to the part with the server ID number which of course is diffeent. What doi need to do?

Thanks

rinorio

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Aspect Infra Team
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2013

IMHO, easiest way :

1) stop jira

2) stop database

3) create enviroment on a new server ( install DB, apache, create users, etc )

4) copy %installdir% and %homedir% on the new server

4a) change path's win->linux in %installdir%/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/jira-application.properties

5) copy jira database on a new server

6) start jira on a new server

P.S. and it's much faster than full-backup way

0 votes
Kailash Vasani March 28, 2013

There are 2 ways of changing server ID, easiest one is by restoring XML backup from existing version, other is to change server ID while running setup. For this you need to locate server ID in database.

You may locate server ID in propertyentry and propertystring table (oracle query below)

Select Ps.Id, Ps.Propertyvalue, Pe.Entity_Name, Pe.Property_Key
From Propertystring Ps, Propertyentry Pe Where Ps.Id=Pe.Id
and pe.entity_name='jira.properties' and pe.property_key like'jira.sid.key'

Below are steps that you should be following in case XML restore fails to get jira application going as per your expectation. Note that you are required to have appropriate rights in DB schema for dropping tables.

1. Note down server ID from your existing server.
  2. Start jira application against empty database schema.
  3. Hit jira home page from browser. Note down server ID displayed in setup screen.
  4. Stop jira application.
  5. Go to database and using query above (or equivalent depending on your database) locate existing server ID. This should be same as that you noted in step 3 above.
  6. Update the row in propertystring table with server ID that you noted in step above. Commit.
  7. start jira application again.
  8. Hit jira home page again from browser, note that server ID should be same as what you have in old server (as in step 1 above).
  9. Complete setup of jira.
  10. Apply all your customizations.
  11. Import projects from your current XML backup.
0 votes
Tihomir Nikolov March 27, 2013

You can try full backup of the system and then import the system on the new linux server.

If this is a new JIRA setup, it should ask for the license you have.

Cheers, Tihomir.

Suggest an answer