Moving Agile board data to new JIRA instance

Jim Rankin July 8, 2014

We are in the process of moving issues from one Jira instance to another. We're running Jira 6.2. We are able to get the issues moved over, but our impression is that there's no tool for moving issues/sprints/boards. SO... I have been tasked with moving those. It looks like I'm almost done, except that I don't seem to be able to attach Sprints to Boards. When I press the hyperlink for a Sprint while displaying an issue it tries to go to the right place (hovering shows the right id at the bottom of the screen), but there are no Sprints on the board. The "AO_60DB71_SPRINT" table is loaded, the customfieldvalue table is loaded and the "AO_60DB71_SPRINT" table points back to the correct board on "AO_60DB71_RAPIDVIEW". Everything looks right, including the name of the active Sprint on the top of the board, but the Sprint is empty!

Also, I read something about negative numbers and future Sprints. I've entered the issue ranking, but it sounds like I may have not done future sprints correctly. My question here is how do you link up the future Sprint with the intended negative number??

I also just want to make sure there isn't a tool to do this part of the migration. As of right now, I'm leaning toward just resetting up all the issues in their respective Board/Sprints by hand using the User Interface! (there's lots of issues, so this is somewhat impractical but it may be our only choice)

Help!

Jim Rankin
Blackboard.

2 answers

1 vote
Steve Thornhill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2014

Are you importing just the project? If so then you will lose all the sprint data.

If you can restore the system from old to new JIRA then you will be able to retain the data.

Unfortunately at this time the only way to have the sprints showing in a project import is the manual method you are using. I've tried doing it via database edits and that just ended up really messy - and didn't give all the data anyway.

0 votes
Jim Rankin July 9, 2014

I'm not doing this alone. By the time I get involved all the projects and issues from a Jira instance have been moved over. Are you saying there's a way to move an entire instance over without losing the Agile data? (From the Atlassian Jira Issue I read that's not possible.)

What does it mean to "Restore the system from odl the new JIRA" ?

Steve Thornhill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2014

When you do a full backup/restore of JIRA you retain the data. It is a project import that doesn't let you keep the information.

If you are migrating to a "new" clean JIRA then a full restore is the best option.

If you have an existing JIRA then I would be tempted to check which one has the most amount of sprint data, etc and use that as the base build and re-import projects from the least used one. That way there are less manual steps to re-create sprints and backlogs.

Suggest an answer