Move existing users from an internal directory to 'Internal with LDAP Authentication'

Scott Roberts February 13, 2013

We have an existing Jira setup that we want to connect to an LDAP server (AD in this case). To change the usernames we had to do the work around from here (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-1549) since 6.0 is not out in production yet so we can't do this (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Changing+Usernames+in+JIRA).

The question is, now that we have changed the names, how do we get the users setup to authenticate against LDAP? All the usernames are the same as the ones in LDAP so I don't want to go the route of importing all new users. Is there a way to just say, "all users authenticate against LDAP now?"

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ed Letifov _TechTime - New Zealand_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2013

We just did a similar piece of work for the client where AD users and internal ones (legacy setup) were completely diffrent. We did not rename the internal users. Connected Jira to AD, made users all log in at least once with AD credentials, so the users got created on Jira side, then moved the content.

We used groovyrunner with the RenameUser443.groovy script modified in such a way so if the merge of 2 users (internal and external) is selected, it moves the content to the 2nd user instead of merging it and doesn't remove the user either.

After that was done the internal directory was disabled.

Get in contact via turningright.co.nz and I'll respond with the script.

I suppose you may also try just moving all user records within internal crowd database tables from one dir to another with direct SQL.

Scott Roberts February 13, 2013

For the direct SQL, do you know which tables require changes in order to fully switch over?

Gonchik Tsymzhitov January 28, 2014

You mean "cwd_user" table?

0 votes
Gonchik Tsymzhitov January 28, 2014

Any relosve ways?

Suggest an answer