Move data from in-house Jira 4.4 to Jira Cloud

Emil Andonov July 13, 2015

Hi,

we are thinking of moving to JIRA cloud from our in-house hosted Jira instance which is version 4.4. Will it be possible to move the data (issues, tasks ...) and workflows that we use on the in-house Jira?

Thank you

Emil

2 answers

0 votes
Darren Pegg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2015

JIRA 4.4 > Cloud

Simliar to the other way around, I would upgrade your current JIRA to the latest possible and all plugins using Evals if your licenses have now expired and check that free plugins are not chargeable and are even still available as you may then need to migrate to other plugins to preserve data.

You will then need to create a backup and create a backup of the attachments, avatars folders and upload this to  WEBDAV in JIRA.

The cloud instance will warn that the current version isn't the same as the server version and never will be as the cloud instance is always newer, then by agreeing that versions are different it will then hopefully import without a problem.  If not you may have to find and replace the build numbers in your backup and match this with the build number that JIRA will tell its looking for if it fails.  Though if the xml is somewhat broken with NULL exceptions the cloud instance may also throw it out.  Though it should let you know if there is an issue.. I would there test this on a eval cloud instance before attempting it on your purchased instance if you have one, and have Atlassian to hand in case they need to intervene and fix anything.

Look here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CLOUDKB/Migrating+from+JIRA+Server+to+JIRA+Cloud

Thanks

Darren

0 votes
Darren Pegg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2015

Hi Emil,

(Ahh ignore this: I got the migration the other way around though I'll keep this here if it helps  others - I'll respond to the correct question)

Not via the native backup/restore method both versions need to be as close as possible and even then you may have to tweak the xmls that JIRA creates for you; the following page will help:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Migrating+from+JIRA+Cloud+to+JIRA+Server

The only way it would be possible is replicating (manually) all the schemes in your server instance and do CSV imports on issues in progress and forget about closed. Though this depends on how many issue you have, especially if it = 2GB+

You will lose comments via CSV import and maybe more due to feature upgrades over the upgrade period against JIRA and plugins.  Though you will also lose plugin features that are available now that were not available then

In short, I would say its' a stupid idea... Very!

I'd suggest upgrading your current JIRA to preserve existing data and install a second JIRA same version as the upgraded server install and migrate JIRA cloud into the Second instance and install something like Botron to migrate project schemes across from the second to 1st instance and use a backup XML to import the issues project by project into instance 1.

Being mindful of current users so the issues/comments etc etc aren't affected with duplicate usernames.

It isn't a quick fix..

Darren

Suggest an answer