Move all JIRA associations from one user to another?

idarlund July 15, 2019

Hi,

I'm trying to move all jira associations from one user to another. I've followed a guide I found here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Move-all-JIRA-associations-from-one-user-to-another/qaq-p/143805

Ran the following sql statements and checked that the database actually was updated:

update jiraissue set assignee='newuser' where assignee ='olduser';
update jiraissue set creator='newuser' where creator ='olduser';
update jiraissue set reporter='newuser' where reporter='olduser';
update jiraaction set author ='newuser' where author ='olduser';
update jiraaction set updateauthor ='newuser' where updateauthor ='olduser';

When logging into JIRA I can still se issues assigned to the old username. Is there any other tables and fields I should update aswell?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2019

Dear @idarlund ,

first of all for the community - do not modify Jira's DB directly, until you know exactly what you do!

Have you shut down Jira before the DB update statements?

My recommended way to do:

• Export DB dump
  • open XML in suitable editor (entities.xml)
  • search for the user and replace everywhere
  • re-import dump

But do this first on a test environment, until you are 100% sure it had no side effects.

So long

Thomas

0 votes
James Mason April 8, 2021

The better answer is for Atlassian to GET WITH IT and provide a simple and safe way to do this.  I mean, how many years has Jira been deployed?  But it's hard to keep up with stuff like this when you don't have a good software bug tracking system.

Suggest an answer