Move JIRA web server

Babak June 16, 2013

I have read the various existing questions, but this exact question is not answered, per se. I have an existing deployment of JIRA where the DB resides on one server and the web inerface on another. I need to move just the web server for our JIRA installation while the DB remains where it is. Do I just follow the normal install procedure on the new web server and then connect it to the existing DB? Will I lose anything in the process?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
PeterKoczan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 16, 2013

Hi Babak,

I'd go for the officially supported method: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Migrating+JIRA+to+Another+Server

Kind regards,

Peter

Babak June 16, 2013

Thanks very much; that's very helpful

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2013

Simplified process:

1. Backup data
  2. Turn off JIRA
  3. Install JIRA in new server
  4. Move JIRA.HOME
  5. Start JIRA
0 votes
Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 16, 2013

A short answer, yes.

You can configure JIRA following the upgrade procedure on the new server and connect JIRA to the existing database. You would need copy the <jira_home>/data directory and plugins to the new server. Also, please ensure that the old JIRA is shutdown before running it in new server, we don't want two JIRA writing on the same database. That smells trouble.

Babak June 16, 2013

Thanks! How do I turn off JIRA? Somewhere in the admin console?

Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
June 16, 2013

You can refer to the link in Peter's comment for more info. Shutting down JIRA is really depends, if you have installed them as service, you need to shut down the service. If you're running them manually by <jira-install>/bin/startup.bat then shutting down would be to run <jira-install>/bin/shutdown.bat

Suggest an answer