More than one outbound address

Ahjaz Hussain April 16, 2013

Hi,

I understand within JIRA there can only be one outbound address when sending notifications. In our setup we have approximately 5 projects, each setup with their own support email address.

Example:

Outbound address = itsupport@local.com

Project 1 = Xtranet, email = xtranet@local.com

Project 2 = Finance, email = finance@local.com

Users email the address associated to the project i.e. xtranet or finance, notifications are sent back and forth with the outbound address itsupport@local.com as the from address.

After the issue is resolved/closed, users send new queries to itsupport@local.com as they realise this is the support address rather than the appropriate address of project.

I understand this is a communication issue, but is there a solution which I can implement with the use of JEMH to resolve this, some how mask the from email to retain the prject email etc. Also, can JEMH support multiple outbound addresses, if so how

Thank you for your help

2 answers

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2013

JIRA supports exactly one SMPT outbound server, and by default can support per-project default from: addresses too. The problem is that the mailserver must allow this behaviour, for example Gmail will rewrite addresses back to the same address as the connecting account unless specific configuration is made withing Gmail.

JEMH will use the Project from: SMTP address if its defined, whether your mail gateway allows it is another question. JEMH also provides an ability to provide an override Personal and SMTP value for the From address of some legacy notifications driven from the Profile. As yet, it is not possible to do this via the integrated IssueListener, which is I think you would need? Are per-project addresses adequate/acceptable?

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2013
You can define project specific email adresses in the project administration page underneath the notification options. This email adress will be used for all communication by this project's notifications.

Suggest an answer