More dynamic Kanban boards with variable accepting filters

StoyanI March 24, 2015

Hello,

I am currently setting up our company's JIRA so we can transfer from a different issue tracking system and have modified everything quite a lot. We are trying to make it as close to our work process as possible so it is intuitive and easy to use.

As a consequence, we need a Work board that has set columns but has a filter that can easily be modified for a specific issue. The idea is to track progress (as a Developer) of sub-tasks of the parent issue, prioritise them, and control what will be done and what won't.

I am aware that the sub-tasks view when seeing the details for a particular issue is sort of the same. However, there is no way to sort what you see there and no easy way to transition/label sub-tasks. Subsequently, it is not very useful in our case.

So my question resorts to: Is the there a workaround or a way to do what we need or are we stuck with manually writing JQL queries for each individual issue you want to control/manage? As you can possibly see this is far from perfect and I would prefer to be able to add a button that at least uses the issue as a parameter in a pre written query. Sadly I could not find a solution for this too.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Kind regards,
Stoyan Ivanov.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2015

>We came up with the concept of having a different board you can display only the sub-tasks of a specific issue

Ah, that's bit I was groping for and not quite seeing!  I'm going to blame mixing up the decaff with the real coffee this morning.  Thanks for clearing it up!

You're right, JIRA Agile does not support that in any way.  You'd have to write a new filter for each and every issue you wanted a board for.  

The best I can think of is the sub-task quick filter I already mentioned, possibly combined with "use stories as swimlanes".  A board with that setup could show you all your issues, with all their sub-tasks (toggle-able), and the swimlane function would at least let you show/hide one issue at a time.

0 votes
StoyanI March 24, 2015

Sadly we are not planning to use use stories so this is out of the possibilities too. Thanks anyway. At least now I am sure it cannot be done easily. Is there a way to request this as a feature?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2015

Ah, "swimlane by story" doesn't actually mean "by story", it means "by any parent issue". It doesn't care if you're using stories, bugs, issues, features, penguins. You get one row per *issue* and you can expand/collapse the display of subtasks under each issue Feature requests are made at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS (that's the Agile project)

StoyanI March 24, 2015

Thank you Nic. I will try the swimlines with those settings and will write regardless of the result.

0 votes
StoyanI March 24, 2015

Hi Nic,

Sorry if I have not explained the full requirements.

We are using JIRA Agile with Kanban boards. I have different work boards set up for different types of users. We came up with the concept of having a different board you can display only the sub-tasks of a specific issue. In our case the issue is a Feature and the sub-tasks are defects associated with it.

We need to overview the status of the sub-tasks so we can decide depending on their status what to do with them and when.

This is easily done if a work board filter can be made quickly (1-2 clicks, preferably no query writing). The filter itself is very simple, something like "parent = parent_id_here". The problem I am facing is I cannot make the "parent_id_here" be input automatically for me or any other way of making it easy and fast.

The whole question is a matter of - can the JIRA Agile be set up so this is automated and easy or there is no way to do it.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2015

I'm not entirely sure what the requirement is here - you've kind of outlined some stuff that doesn't seem to be right for you, but not really explained what you're actually aiming for.

But

1.  On the (parent) issue view, in plain JIRA (not Agile), it is possible to use the cog on the right of the sub-task list to transition the sub-tasks
  2. It's not single-issue, but a quick filter of "issuetype not in subtaskissuetypes()" enables a quick "toggle sub tasks on and off" in the Agile board ivew

Suggest an answer