More confusion ... issue not appearing in assigned to me panel

NickW July 4, 2012

Hi all

I have two steps "Work In progress" that goes to "Resolved". When the dev marks it as resolved I want a tester to be assigned the bug. This is happening manually at the moment but I guess I can force an assignment to a tester somehow? The dev also updates the resolution field to fixed.

Whats puzzling me at the moment is when I log in as a tester even though the bug is assigned to me its doesn't appear in my 'assigned to me' panel on the dashboard. Why is that?

Nick

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 4, 2012

The assigned to me gadget only shows issues that are "unresolved". That is, there is no resolution set. I suspect that if you look at your bug, it'll have a resolution.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 4, 2012

Oops, sorry, I missed the line you already said about "the dev also updates the resolution to fixed".

That is definitely the problem.

This "resolution" flagging thing is pretty much core to Jira (personally, I think it's pretty weak and needs to be replaced with meta-states, but that's not going to happen quickly), and you'll need to work around it.

Either define a filter that ignores the resolution and use that in the "show filter results" gadget, or amend your process so that "resolution" is not set until later in the process.

NickW July 4, 2012

Thanks Nic. Implementing JIRA is starting to feel like pulling teeth!! Perhaps I just havent worked enough with JIRA yet but tbh this kind of thing is arrrggghhhhhh

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 4, 2012

There's a few more "quirks" you'll run into - this one is the most glaring one that bites new people. You might also want to keep an eye out for my favourites:

1. don't email me on my own changes
  2. Priority and Resolution are global (with some hideous, but usable work-arounds on resolution)
  3. fields will not display unless they have data
  4. the issue navigator will only display a column if it is *valid* for all *possible* project/issuetypes returned by your filter

I think once you've run into all of those, you've got a good feel for it :-)

NickW July 4, 2012

Thanks for lifting my spirits.....

I guess one possible appraoch would be to create my own custom resolution field for the devs to set and change the content of the 'system' resolution field to reflect final validation when the testers have closed it or otherwise.

Suggest an answer