More advanced JIRA project release notes options?

Jason April 7, 2014

We are finding the built in JIRA release notes for projects a little limiting. My developers would like to be able to enter a detailed description (including markup) into JIRA and have it viewable along with the issues for that version from inside JIRA. Is there any add-on options or edits I can make to JIRA to provide functionality like that? My research on the matter so far doesn't seem to find options for customization other than editing the template file for the exported/emailed notes.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jason July 17, 2014

Thanks for everybody who has responded, I'd say at this point the answer is that nothing preexisting exists that covers my needs so I'll have to look at coming up with some sort of internal hack to our jira setup to cover it.

0 votes
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2014

Render your release notes with the PDF View Plugin.

It allows you freely customize the document template, so that you can enter the detailed description you mentioned in the template. You can use your own layout, colors, images, so branding is simple. (Templates are editable via a web based editor, that is integrated to JIRA.)

There is a default "release notes" template included in the plugin. You may want to use that as starting point for you customization.

See the sample Release Notes document.

0 votes
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2014

I suppose you've checked that page https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Release+Notes

And what are the exact limitations you're not able to overcome ? The markup ?

What do you mean by "having the release notes viewable along with the issues" ?

Suggest an answer